Family Recovery Specialists is a Florida addiction treatment facility offering several unique alternatives to 12-step drug and alcohol addiction programs.
The Shame Resilience Curriculum is based on the teachings of Dr. Brené Brown, research professor at the University of Houston Graduate College of Social Work. Brown has spent more than a decade studying vulnerability, courage, worthiness, and shame, and her groundbreaking research has been featured on NPR, PBS, CNN, The Katie Show, and Oprah Winfrey’s Super Soul Sunday.
This non 12 step program is a highly experiential methodology designed for use with individuals, couples, families, work teams, and organizational leaders. Throughout the program, our Certified Daring Way™ Facilitators (CDWFs) invite clients struggling with alcohol and drug addiction to examine the thoughts, emotions, behaviors, and comparisons that are holding them back. Upon identifying these practices, participants have the opportunity to make new choices and develop new patterns that will move them in the direction of authentic, “wholehearted living.”
In her book, Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent & Lead (2012), Brené Brown highlights ten guideposts for wholehearted living. These guideposts are an integral part of the pathway, and are used to guide participants toward vulnerability and positive change:
1. Cultivating Authenticity: Letting Go of What People Think
2. Cultivating Self-Compassion: Letting Go of Perfectionism
3. Cultivating a Resilient Spirit: Letting Go of Numbing & Powerlessness
4. Cultivating Gratitude & Joy: Letting Go of Scarcity & Fear of the Dark
5. Cultivating Intuition & Trusting Faith: Letting Go of the Need for Certainty
6. Cultivating Creativity: Letting Go of Comparison
7. Cultivating Play & Rest: Letting Go of Exhaustion & Productivity as Self-Worth
8. Cultivating Calm & Stillness: Letting Go of Anxiety as a Lifestyle
9. Cultivating Meaningful Work: Letting Go of Self-Doubt & “Supposed To”
10. Cultivating Laughter, Song & Dance: Letting Go of Being Cool & “Always in Control”
Dr. Brown is the author of two #1 New York Times bestselling books, and the author of I Thought It Was Just Me (2007). Her well-known 2010 TEDx Houston talk (“The Power of Vulnerability”) is one of the world’s top most-viewed TED talks. Over 14 million viewers have tuned into this viral hit, which teaches people from all walks of life that they are “worthy of love, belonging, and joy.”
The Daring Way™ curriculum teaches men and women about the myths associated with shame and the ways we “armor up” to avoid feeling ashamed. As clients learn to put down their armor and begin to live brave, they walk the pathway to shame resilience and healthy vulnerability.
Begin your personal addiction recovery journey today at our well-appointed Florida facility: call 305.595.7378 to speak with an admissions specialist.